Give Yourself a Heart Check-Up
Give Yourself a Heart Check-Up
May 18, 2017
"My Thought for Your Day" by Paul Minzlaff
For the latest installment of "My Thought for Your Day," visit our "Inspiration" blog.
I enjoy considering what is possible in life. For many, putting words to paper is an effective way of capturing your ideas and then having those words hold you accountable for results. Words on paper without the necessary associated action will achieve little. Today, I want to ask you to consider the following words and, most importantly, consider how you can put these words into action in your own life:
“Imagine a place created by The One, shared by many, but focused on just one thing – LOVE. Now wouldn’t that make your life, your home and your world a better place?"
God, the One, did just that: He created you. He created you so that His love could live through our thought, words and deeds of every day. But so often “life” gets in the way and it prevents us from being able to feel or act in a way that is loving. The challenge is that we live in a world where instant gratification is desired most often. Frequently, we don’t have the patience or faith to commit to the process that love requires; we abandon love when it gets hard and we miss the true joy that is the gift of love.
Want the opportunity to experience more love in your life? Give yourself this 4-point “Heart Check-Up”:
- Live with your heart. Show love by what you say and do. From the moment you wake up to when you retire for the night, what are ways, big and small, that you can show love in everything you say and do?
- Increase your love. If we want bigger muscles, we exercise more. The heart is the strongest muscle in the body – exercise it more and it will grow larger. Living in love takes practice – study God’s Word for reminders of the greatest love there is. Practice loving yourself. Find ways to live with your heart each day. These “exercises” will help make the act of love more second nature.
- Express your heart. Communication is the key. Speak your feelings and work on being present and truly listening to what is being spoken by others.
- Show your love. When you speak from the heart, you are changed. Do you speak your truth and show people who you truly are? This is easier said than done, but this is what being authentic is all about. And when you are authentic, you are in harmony with the One who created you.
We are to guard our heart and focus our thoughts and our time, so that we live life with purpose, that we become intentional in our thinking and our actions. The apostle Paul provides a wonderful roadmap for our thoughts: “Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely whatever is admirable – if anything is excellent or praiseworthy – think about such things. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.”
So we begin a new day – ready to rekindle, re-establish and re-focus your love. The Creator of Love – Your Heavenly Father – has made you for such a time as this. Go in peace, love and be loved; by the One whose love for you never ends.
Thoughts to Encourage
- Don’t focus on what you've lost – focus on what you can learn from your loss.
- Your best life will be achieved when the heart is connected to your mind.