This Fragile Life
This Fragile Life
Oct 05, 2017
"My Thought for Your Day" by Paul Minzlaff
For the latest installment of "My Thought for Your Day," visit our "Inspiration" blog.
“Let me introduce you to Tim.” Those were the words I heard last week as I watched a crew of men remove and install a new porch. Tim was ready and able, tools in hand, ready to assist when called upon. Tim was located on the sidewalk, watching a group of men remove rotten boards from the porch that no longer served any purpose. As I extended my hand to Tim in friendship, I noticed a large tattoo on his right arm. Tim caught the glance of my eyes on his large, muscular forearm and, without hesitation, provided me an answer before my question was ever asked.
“Paul, life is so very fragile. I was in a motorcycle accident seven years ago. I lost my wife in the accident and that is what put me in this wheelchair for life.” Life had dealt Tim a series of hardships that I can’t fathom and yet, here he was, working with a group of men from his church, providing encouragement, love and a little advice on where the next board should be placed.
I left that sidewalk a different person, grateful that God had led me to Tim and anxious to learn more from my new found friend. Tim was a reminder of the reassurance we can find in God’s Word:
- “Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff they comfort me.” Psalm 23:4
- “Let us approach the throne of grace with confidence.” Hebrews 4:16 Remember and repeat these words: “Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to the Lords.” Philippians 4:6
- “Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance.” James 1: 2,3
- “I know, O Lord, that a man’s life is not his own; it is not for man to direct his steps. Correct me, Lord, but only with justice – not in your anger, lest you reduce me to nothing.” Jeremiah 10:23,24
Who is God placing in your path today? Will you respond to God with a “Yes – send me, send me?” Faith is the foundation to change your life – from your faith, you move forward with confidence that you face nothing alone. Decisions become easier when we use the wisdom of our Creator. Life takes on a new meaning when we no longer see ourselves as a victim, but rather as a victor.
Today is a new beginning. The first day of the rest of your life. Approach today living and working in collaboration with God. Moving from independence to dependence and finding confidence to live a life knowing that God’s plan is superior to anything you can do on your own.
Thoughts to Encourage
- None of us are born with knowledge. It is acquired from our experiences, the people who love us and a pursuit of life long learning.
- Don’t think about what you can get today – rather, focus your effort on what you can give. When you give, you’ll get more joy than you can imagine.