A Month of Thanksgiving
A Month of Thanksgiving
Nov 01, 2018
“Give thanks to the LORD, for he is good; for his steadfast love endures forever.” I Chronicles 16:34
Welcome to November! At the end of this month we will gather with family and friends, prepare delicious food, and attend special worship services to celebrate the Thanksgiving holiday. But instead of just spending a day focusing on what we are thankful for, let’s spread it out for the entire month! God has blessed us abundantly; what are you thankful for in your life? Below is a list of ways to show thanksgiving throughout the entire month of November by focusing on what you’re thankful for every day, and not just on Thanksgiving!
1. Create a list of things you are thankful for. Add at least one new blessing each day leading up to Thanksgiving, and even after Thanksgiving is over!
2. Gratitude Pumpkin: All you need is a plastic pumpkin and a sharpie! Every day write out one (or more) things that you are thankful for.
3. Thankful Tree: Either collect branches from the backyard or create your own tree out of construction paper. Cut out leaves to hang on the branches or stick to your tree. Each day write out something you’re thankful for on each leaf.
4. Thanksgiving Countdown Calendar: Similar to an Advent Calendar counting down the days until Christmas, create your own calendar with small envelopes and add a slip of paper to each day with what you’re thankful for!
5. Jar of Thanksgiving: Grab a jar and some slips of paper, each family member can add what they are thankful for each day of November!
“In all things I have shown you that by working hard in this way we must help the weak and remember the words of the Lord Jesus, how he himself said, ‘It is more blessed to give than to receive.’” Acts 20:35
As we list off everything we have to be thankful for, we should also realize there are so many others who are less fortunate. It is important, not only this time of year but year-round, to give generously and bless others. Here are a few of the ways you can share your blessings and help those in need:
1. Ebenezer Stone: Help Ebenezer Stone Ministries provide a Thanksgiving meal to families in need. Click here to donate.
2. Hats and Mittens Collection: Starting November 3, you can bring new mittens, gloves, hats, and scarves to the church atrium and drop them off in the bushel baskets. These will be donated to Milwaukee-area shelters and ministries.
3. Hope Tree: Beginning November 24, you will be able to pick up gift tags, purchase and wrap gifts, and bring them back to the church to be delivered to families with loved ones who are in the House of Correction.
4. Serve at Your Local Homeless Shelter: Homeless shelters and rescue missions are always looking for volunteers to help serve meals, sort through donations, clean, and more.
How are you giving thanks this month? How are you sharing your blessings with others?